Cosma International Senior Engineer - Perception in Palo Alto, California
As one of the largest automotive suppliers in the world - Magna International is committed to delivering product and process innovations through our world-class manufacturing operations that combine our unique design, engineering and program management expertise. At the heart of our operating structure is a powerful entrepreneurial culture and Fair Enterprise philosophy, which builds ownership and inspires pride in our employees.
The Senior Engineer - Perception researches and develops object and environment perception software and systems for autonomous vehicles. The main focus is developing object and environment perception technology including but not limited to: vision based object perception, lidar based object perception, free space detection, occupancy maps, vision/liar/radar fusion and 360° tracking. We are building novel kinds of maps, starting with raw sensor data from devices like LIDAR, IMU, GPS, and cameras, converting them to geometric and semantic representations of the world. These maps are used to precisely localize autonomous cars in the world. The foundational class of algorithms we use is SLAM (simultaneous localization and mapping), and we push the boundary of current research in its application. We are also responsible for understanding geometry and turning it into a semantic map.
- Develop novel machine learning / AI models in the areas of Mapping (SLAM), Computer Vision, Geometry
- Apply state-of-the art machine learning / AI models and bring them to production quality for our self-driving cars
- Stay in touch with current research, through literature review, reading group, conference visits etc.
- Write code that can be integrated with production, and collaborate with Software Engineers to deploy to our large scale production system
Knowledge and Education
- Master's or higher degree in Engineering or equivalent experience, including but not limited to: Computer Science, Electrical, Robotics, and Aerospace
- Preferred Master’s or Ph.D. in computer science, engineering, or related field, or proven accomplishments otherwise
- Experience in research or development in a technology area related to Autonomous Vehicles (as per the definition in the Job Introduction), Robotics, or equivalent combination of education/experience.
Skills and Competencies
- Up-to-date knowledge of current research in machine learning / AI / deep learning
- Fluency with ML libraries like Tensorflow, Caffe, Keras, scikit-learn, etc. and their ecosystems
- Passion for solving unstructured and non-standard mathematical problems and for learning every day
- Algorithms background, and experience writing high quality code in C++
Nice to Have
- Experience in mapping, geometry, robotics, autonomous driving technology
- Normal amount of sitting or standing, average mobility to move around an office environment, able to conduct normal amount of work at a computer. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Group: Magna Corporate
Division: Magna Autonomous Systems LLC
City: Palo Alto
Job Type: Regular