Google Staff Writer, Google Ink in San Francisco, California
Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: Mountain View, CA, USA; San Francisco, CA, USA
As a member of the Global Communications & Public Affairs team, you will work cross-functionally to help communicate with journalists and other thought leaders; devise specific communications materials and campaigns based on understanding of journalists' interests; engage in face-to-face meetings with commentators and other opinion formers; develop print and web-based material supporting these campaigns; and counter misinformation that might interfere with our business and ability to serve our users. We're looking for great communicators who can understand complex issues and explain them in person and also via well written, simple blog posts, FAQs, video scripts and more.
As a member of the editorial team--Google Ink--you will be a part of the team responsible for the Google voice in its many forms. The focus of the role is to bring a writerly eye, agile mind, and storytelling sensibility to a wide range of communications materials, including speeches and op-eds for executives, posts on The Keyword blog site, social media copy, internal news stories, and all kinds of fun writing and editing projects, exercising your creative talents wherever needed.
Did you wake up early to livestream our latest product launch? Are you an avid reader of tech journalism? Do you know your Techcrunch from your Techmeme? Do you geek out on the latest tech trends--then communicate about them clearly, in written form? Do you help with content for execs from the tech sector (or would you like to)? If so, we’re looking for someone like you.
It's our job to help inform and educate users, advertisers, partners, opinion leaders--and our own employees--about the benefits of Google's products, our distinctive company culture/values, and our approach to the big public policy issues of the day. We are looking for quick-witted, entrepreneurial and intellectually curious people to join the team. To succeed here, you'll need to be able to combine creativity with the organizational skills to manage numerous different projects to tight deadlines simultaneously, as well as enjoy pitching to all kinds of journalists, bloggers and commentators (we find it hard too!), or producing internal communications and events for our employees. Things happen quickly at Google and to get stuff done here you need to be an enthusiastic team player - a self-starter who can work cross-functionally and isn't frightened to take risks or try out new ways of doing things.
- Work within the Google speechwriting team to draft speeches and presentations for Google executives.
- Develop and edit content for the The Keyword blog and Google Insider - our internal news site.
- Pitch in on editorial projects, op-eds, press statements, and social copy, as needed.
- Create innovative ways to communicate that inform and engage diverse audiences worldwide across a wide variety of topics.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 6 years of experience in business, media, political or non-profit environment, focusing on writing and editing communications materials.
- Experience in consumer technology writing, speechwriting, executive communications strategy, developing a brand voice, storytelling.
- Demonstrated ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in fast-paced environments. Demonstrated creative thinker, willing to take risks and try new things. Demonstrated ability to use compelling visual materials to tell stories.
- Ability to interact with executives with confidence, and to provide advice on their communications that reflect an understanding of their business and leadership style. Ability to work with colleagues in different countries and appreciate cultural differences.
- A keen editorial eye, sharp instincts, and an active and lively pen (or keyboard!). Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
At Google, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other company location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.