Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Advanced Medical Support Assistant (Telephone Linked Care-EXTERNAL) in San Francisco, California
*Please *REVEIW and READ the "REQUIRED DOCUMENTS" section (on the upper right hand side) of the announcement and supply all required documents [e.g., resume/CV: Must include the vacancy announcement number, position title, grade/salary, how to contact you, descriptions of jobs held including the name and address of employer, job title, description of duties, beginning and ending date, (month and year) of employment, and average hours worked per week, OF-306, VA Form 10-2850c Application for Associated Health Occupations( Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850c-fill.pdf). This form must be completed and signed ON PAGE 3 AND 4, SF-50 (if civil service federal employee), DD-214/SF-15/Preference Letter (if Veteran), etc.]
Failure to supply all required documents and complete documents will result in non-consideration for this position.**
*Current and Permanent VA and/or Federal Employees should apply underNQ-17-YZV-1967092-BU-OCA* **
INTERMITTENT SCHEDULE SALARY IS BASED ON THE NUMBER OF HOURS WORKED.
NOTE: This is an open continuous announcement AND the first cut-off date of FRIDAY, June 16, 2017 . Additional cut off dates will be established through-out the opening dates and qualified applicants will be referred.
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1967095
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
For more information on San Francisco VA Health Care System, go to: http://www.sanfrancisco.va.gov/ **VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center is looking to recruit for (2) Intermittent Advanced Medical Support Assistants to work at 4150 Clement Street, San Francisco, California 94121.
The primary focus of the Telephone Linked Care (TLC) program is to provided 24/7 access to health care services through coordinated telephone coverage; provided safe, timely and consistent clinical advice; improve overall access and reduce waits & delays; reduce unnecessary clinic and ER visits. This program consists of the SF Day Program and the VISN 21 WHEN (Weekend-Holiday-Evening-Night) Program.
The Advanced Call Center Agent was established to ensure assistance to Veterans providing a smooth process for the management of his/her outpatient appointments as well as support work in connection with the care and treatment given to the Veterans by performing a variety of support duties that facilitate the work of an interdisciplinary coordinated care delivery model (e.g. PACT). All incoming calls directed to the Clinical Call Center will be screened by the Advanced Call Center Agent to determine whether those calls can be appropriately handled by the Agent or if they need to be directed to other team members thus improving responsiveness to Veterans questions and concerns and reducing the overall cost of care by controlling the use of resources. The Advanced Call Center Agent will review clinic appointment schedules to ensure that clinic utilization is optimized and effectively supports the needs of the clinics as well as the needs of the Veterans. Develop and maintain effective and efficient communication with the patient, interdisciplinary team, VA medical centers, and other agencies. This position includes, but is not limited to, work that requires a practical knowledge of computerized data entry and information processing systems, setting priorities and deadlines, participating and providing input in problem solving on operational issues or procedures in team meetings, performing administrative follow up actions; scheduling, canceling, re-scheduling patient's appointments;evaluating patient information and clinic schedule lists to determine whether a patient is vested; educating providers about shared patients who may be receiving care at multiple VAs or in the community, the medical facility's organization and services, rules and regulations governing eligibility and treatment, practical knowledge of the standard procedures, medical records, medical terminology, security of sensitive electronic files, process improvement, and customer service.
The Advanced Call Center Agent's role is an integral part of the Telephone Service for Clinical Care Program. It is a complex role requiring an understanding of VA policies, independent decision-making, and multidisciplinary collaboration. The Advanced Call Center Agent shall demonstrate exceptional interpersonal and customer service communication skills while working collaboratively with medical center programs, services and multidisciplinary team members in providing accessibility to care and in meeting a patient's care needs, both clinical and administrative.
- Bargaining Unit Position: Covered.
- Work schedule: INTERMITTENT,Sunday - Saturday, every other weekend, Variable shifts
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Status: Nonexempt.
- Functional Statement Title/FS#: Advanced Medical Support Assistant/000000, Hybrid Title 38 - covered by a functional statement.
- Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
United States Citizens
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Must be an U.S. citizen
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Designated and-or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and-or Security Investigation required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- *U.S. citizenship. *Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Experience and Education:Experience.Six months experience of clerical, office or other work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position; or Education. One year above high school; or
Experience/Education Combination. Equivalent combination of experience and education are qualifying for entry level for which both education and experience are acceptable.
- Certification.None required.
- English Language Proficiency.MSAs must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, part II, chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3j.
(1) Knowledge of Current MSA Practices. To be creditable, the experience must have demonstrated the knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) associated with current MSA responsibilities. Experience satisfying this requirement may be paid/non paid employment as a MSA. (2) Quality of Experience. Qualifying experience must be at a level comparable to MSA experience at the next lower grade level. For all assignments above the full performance level, the higher level duties must consist of significant scope, administrative independence, complexity (difficulty) and range of variety as described in this standard at the specified grade level and be performed by the incumbent at least 25% of the time. (3) Part-Time Experience. Part-time experience as a MSA is creditable according to its relationship to the full-time workweek. For example, a MSA employed 20 hours a week, or on a 1/2-time basis, would receive 1 full-time workweek of credit for each 2 weeks of service.
GS-06 Advanced MSA Grade Determinations:
- Experience.One year of experience equivalent to the next lower grade level GS-05. This one year GS-05 experience equivalent includes, but are not limited to: responsible for scheduling appointments, including interpreting and verifying provider orders in accordance with scheduling guidelines, scheduling, canceling, re-scheduling patient's appointments and/or consults; entering no-show information; monitoring the electronic wait list; preparing for clinic visits; monitoring both inpatient and outpatient appointments for areas of responsibility; ensuring encounter forms are completed in order to obtain appropriate workload credit; verifying and updating demographics and insurance information; processing all emergency and non-emergency transfers to other facilities or private hospitals; performing basic eligibility, co-pays and preauthorization requirements for specific coverage (i.e., TRICARE, sharing agreements, etc.).
In addition to meeting the basic requirements and experience listed above, applicants must also demonstrate the following knowledge, skills, and abilities to qualify (This experience must be clearly addressed in detailed on your resume for each position held with the following items: grade level for each position held (if applicable), to/from month and year, and the number of work hours per week, (i.e., GS-7, 03/09-06/11 (or Present), 40 hours/week):
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to collaborate, communicate, set priorities, and organize the work in order to meet deadlines, ensuring compliance with established processes, policies, and regulations.
Ability to communicate tactfully and effectively, both orally and in writing, in order to meet program objectives. This may include preparing reports in various formats and presenting data to various organizational levels.
Advanced knowledge of the technical health care process as it relates to access to care.
Advanced knowledge of managing a clinic. This includes independently utilizing reference sources, decision making, and empowering the team to collaborate and resolve problems within a complex systems environment.
Advanced knowledge of policies and procedures associated with operational activities that affect the patient flow, patient care, and the revenue process.
- Advanced knowledge of medical terminology due to the technical nature of language utilized by clinicians.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference:VA HANDBOOK 5005/53, PART II, APPENDIX G45, dated: June 7, 2012. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Generally, the work does not involve special physical demands. Duties are performed in medical center areas and incumbent must be able to travel to treatment areas with ease. The majority of time is spent working at a desk. It involves the frequent use of office equipment including the telephone, copier, personal computer, printer and similar automated equipment. There is potential for extended periods of sitting, standing and carrying items weighing up to 20 pounds (i.e., medical records and manuals). Transporting patients in both wheelchair's and on stretchers. The incumbent is expected to use proper preventive ergonomic techniques to perform duties.
Work Environment: The work is performed in treatment settings of a medical center, involving everyday risks or discomfort. It requires normal safety precautions typical of this environment. Although the employee works in a health care facility where the potential for exposure to contagious diseases and carcinogenic materials exists, the risk of exposure is minimal during the proper execution of tasks required in this position. There is adequate light, heat and ventilation in work areas.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/470973600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-06-02 to 2017-12-01
Salary: $43,964 to $57,158 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 06
Series: 0679 Medical Support Assistance
Appointment type: Excepted Service NTE NTE One (1) Year
Work schedule: Intermittent
Job announcement number: NQ-17-YZV-1967095-BU-OCA
Control number: 470973600